Thinking about changing the color of your walls? In some houses usually change the look of the walls on which to hold a wedding anniversary, the 15 years old daughter, Christmas, the arrival of a very special visit or simply by a desire to renew the air.
Whatever your reason to consider changing the color of your walls, the big question that comes to mind is, how to choose a paint color? For a while now, the importance of harmony, colors and design have come alive environment, to the point of taking into account in planning the work space in offices and rest at home.
Some might say that painting of one or another color is not important, or superficial, but above this, the paintings and their colors are very important since they always serve as a protection against moisture and over time while helping acclimate and give more light to the space.
Since man came to earth 20,000 years ago had the need to customize their environment. As early hominids decorated their walls with paintings of hunting scenes. Over the years, the materials used to paint their caves were made with lime, charcoal, ocher yellow, red and green.
At the 4,000 years BC, the Egyptians were using coatings based on casein tempera, egg, water, acacia and mineral pigments, iron oxides, malachite green, yellow based arsenic trisulfide, etc.. to acclimate and prepare walls for writing.
Eight hundred years before Christ, appeared on the market the first guide of paintings. With the global population growth in popularity of wall paintings grew and with them the importance of color, protection of the walls and the decor to the present day.
At present, the paints were made based on oil inorganic elements removed are combined with binder and water to set the mixture into the walls. There is also a wide variety of them as varnishes, lacquers, water paints, enamels, etc.. Designed for the needs of each area. Their application, drying, consistency and power of coverage vary according to the quality and the brand.
As for colors I know nothing, I decided to consult our friend, the interior designer Karina Gamarra and consult what are the color trends for this year and so give my home a new style. According to our expert, color trends are different every year.
To explain better, says that firms often use various color palettes per year. For example, Sherwin Williams uses four basic color palettes for this year.
"The first and the last pallet show a strong and outstanding look while the two in the middle, showing warm colors, smooth and harmonious as elegant, but it also might go unnoticed," he explains.
In my case, I draw much attention and intense tones to see so many colors I would paint them all. But beware, Karina explains that the idea is to combine vivid or intense tones of the blades 1 and 4 with the blades 3 and 4 having softer tones.
I give an example, how I want my room to have light and style at once, I will combine intense orange color palette 4 with medium beige palette 3; think that will give depth, life and elegance.
For 2013 trends seen with ethnic elements, vintage. Tones are white, brown and beige tones blend perfectly with bold as fuchsia, turquoise and orange. Light colors like white, beige, gray or light brown are the colors that reflect balance, comfort and hospitality, while intense, optimism and energy.
If you are looking Neoclassical is a style you can choose soothing colors such as cream, gray and pale blue to give elegance and harmony to your room and you can complement it with elements of Greek and Roman antiquity.
Rooms for youth and children
As for children's rooms, Karina suggests choosing colors that are alive, for example, red, and covering the entire wall with color contrast with other walls. We complete with suitable furniture to make contrast with the environment. Yes, try that colors are always a warm and another contrast, that there is harmony.
According to Karina, "one of the fashion trends in colors for kitchens this year, are the strong colors on walls and furniture. The idea is that the vibrant colors convey joy and positive energy to our home. Moreover, the result is also a modern kitchen, "explains.
"Another trend that is also being used a lot is the minimalist decor. Perfect when looking stylish decor without many objects that occupy space, "adds the expert. In this case you should choose uniform colors, neutral colors so that there is harmony between the colors of the chairs, tables and other accessories. "White and black is the perfect combination when it comes to stylish, minimalist kitchens," he says.
Quality countsBut for this we leave the desired color effect and need to know how to choose the best quality paint. For that, we Karina advises:
- Durability: It is related to the resistance and washability. At the time of buying the product you should consider whether you need a coating against water, mold or stains, or if it is a floor painting, which must withstand high traffic to determine which will be more durable over time.
- Brightness: The type of finish paints provide. It can be matte, glossy or semi-gloss. Others classified as satin, semi-gloss and opaque. The choice depends on customer preferences, the space to be coated and lighting that will be exposed to the paint surface.
- Performance: Is the coverage power, which is the area to cover or hide a quarter, half or one gallon of paint, according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Performance depends on the type of tool that is used to apply and purity of the product, for example if you have added too much water, solvents, etc..
- Resistance: The ability to withstand scratches, scrapes, sanded, punches, bends or squats, without abandoning or ill-treated.
- Stability: This refers to the appearance of the liquid in the tank where it is. Clotting, creating layers, the smell, the separation of pigments or the formation of a very thick substance, can make itself be ruled out, but if the mix or stir the paint, this is uniform, the above was due only to rest.
- Washability: A good painting should resist the action of cleaning products, such as neutral detergent dissolved in water, brushes, sponges or rags used to clean surfaces. Anyway, to have a longer life you should avoid using liquid polishes or abrasive cleaning powders, which could loosen or crack the film.
- Drying time: The time required for the paint to dry on the surface it is applied, which also determines when you can apply a second or third hand. The data will vary with the surface material, the purity of the paint, the temperature and humidity, etc..
With all these recommendations, choose colors ideal for our living room, bedroom or kitchen, will be easier. Also, we will see much longer the new look of our home if we choose properly the quality of the paintings that will be used.